Just to keep things concrete, here's my take on how the syntax could
be implemented:

http://pastie.textmate.org/90947

This way, inheritance will still work for methods added to 'this'
inside the closure, and Class.extend can be used elsewhere in the
library.

Questions:

* Can this feature be left to third parties with special needs?
To be honest, yes, it can: http://pastie.textmate.org/90951

* Could this syntax simplify Prototype's own implementation (i.e., is
Prototype itself a third party with a special need :)?
I think so, and in ways that might not be obvious; e.g., stuff like
this: http://pastie.textmate.org/90953
I haven't even begun to do an exhaustive audit, but I would bet this
syntax allows an improvement almost anywhere an underscored property
is used.  On a quick glance-through, Element._attributeTranslations
jumped out at me.

* [Your burning question here]?
I'm glad you asked!

Them's my thoughts.