On 9/13/07, jdalton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I have noticed there are alot of places in the Prototype 1.6 where
> you use Element.extend() vs $(). Is there a performance reason for
> this, becuase it does add to script size..

I approve of replacing $ with extend where this makes sense. It will add to
framework size a bit, but as Sam says, it's not considerable because gzipped
version of prototype.js only depends on number of different tokens, not on
number of characters.

In short, adding more occurrences of Element.extend will not impact
framework size so much if you use gzip compression (and you should).