There are other popular scripts that rely on this behavior, most
notably Dean Edwards's original base.js inheritance script.

It should also be noted that this behavior does not comply with
ECMA-262, which states that Function.prototype.toString shall return a
string that has the syntax of a function declaration. I'm sure it was
necessary to get a JS environment running on mobile devices, but the
point remains.

Prototype supports the major desktop browsers, but I don't think we
have any _official_ level of support for browsers on mobile devices.

Cheers,
Andrew