On Jan 7, 2:54 pm, Michael Peters <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Mislav Marohnić wrote:
> > On Jan 7, 2008 9:25 PM, Ken Snyder <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > Some ideas
> > are shared with the community while some are kept private for further
> > discussions among core members.
>
> Why the secrecy? This is an open source project after all.

In my experience, it's not about secrecy; it's more to do with making
sure ideas can germinate (out of the "wouldn't it be cool if..." phase
and into an API and means of implementation). It's also a guard
against overpromising and underdelivering, as Mislav says.

> > So, the reason we don't share the exact
> > roadmap to Prototype 2.0 with the public is because even we don't know
> > the roadmap yet, and we don't want to set expectations and then break them.
>
> Sounds an awful lot like the IE team's arguments about why they are so
> secretive
> with IE development. If you want me to invest my projects, my development time
> and that of my team (if I'm the decision maker) into prototype/SAU then why
> not
> give me the information and confidence that I need to make that decision.

There should be a successor to Godwin's Law that applies to Microsoft/
IE comparisons. ;-)

We love that people use Prototype/scripty. The code only gets better
when more people use it. But, like most other open-source projects,
we're not trying to "sell" you on using our stuff. Open-source
software has evangelists (and I admit we don't do enough
evangelizing), but it has very few salesmen.

If you need information, you're in the right place. We're all happy to
answer questions about the direction in which Prototype is heading. If
we can't give you an answer to a question (will this feature be in the
next version, etc.), it's usually because we haven't decided yet.

On Jan 7, 2:25 pm, Ken Snyder <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> - Expand Prototype custom events to fire callbacks for Element methods
> such as update, setStyle, remove, replace, insert, wrap, writeAttribute,
> addClassName, removeClassName, scrollTo, etc.

Aye. Don't know if we're doing it for *everything* you've listed, but
certainly for most of them. You'll be able to tell *any* method to
fire a custom event by using Function#wrap. In fact, you can do that
right now.

> - Add support for callback registration and multiple callbacks for SAU
> Effect events

Nothing's final, but based on what I've seen I'd expect for Scripty
2.0 to make heavy use of custom events.

> - Streamline SAU Effects to all use Effect#Morph

No idea about this one.

> - Add Prototype support for onmouseenter and onmouseleave

As Mislav points out, I did address this issue in the blog post linked
above. He reminds me that I never did post the code for my preferred
solution to this problem, but I'll get around to that soon.

> - Add intuitive Prototype methods for checkbox- and radio-group form
> elements (e.g. a method to get the value of the currently checked
> item(s) in based on a group name)

No one's suggested this yet, but I'll make a note of this feature
request. Feel free to elaborate (in a separate thread) or propose an
API for this. The same goes to everyone on this list: feel free to
request things you want in the next version of Prototype. The worst we
can do is say "no," which is really just shorthand for "no, but please
don't take it personally, and we encourage you to implement this as a
Prototype add-on in case there are other people who might find this
useful."

Also, just to be clear: competition with other frameworks is not a
concern to me, and I don't think it's a concern to Sam or anyone else.
All the major frameworks have open mailing lists; most have open
source control. There are no trade secrets to worry about.

Cheers,
Andrew