koozdra wrote:
> I propose the addition of Array.insert(index, insertee [,...]).  This
> method would would be like Ruby's insert. "Inserts the given values
> before the element with the given index"
> - http://www.ruby-doc.org/core/classes/Array.html#M002195
>
> var a = ['a','b','c','d']
>
> a.insert(2, 33)
> --> ['a','b',33,'c','d']
>
> a.insert(3, 'one', 'two', 'three')
> -->['a','b','c','one', 'two', 'three','d']
>

> --
> Dimitri
I always have mixed feelings about wrappers for Array#splice.  It is a
very powerful method that needs no knock off, yet it is very hard to
remember.  Anyhow, below is an academic stab at implementing your idea.
My only question is what to do when the index is too low or too high.
I'm not sure what Ruby does; the code below just defaults to 0 when the
index is too low or too high.

- Ken Snyder

Array.prototype.insert = function() {
    var args = $A(arguments), index = args.shift();
    index = index < 0 ? this[this.length - index] : index;
    args = [(this[index] === undefined ? 0 : index), 0].concat(args);
    Array.prototype.splice.apply(this, args);
}

a.insert(2, 33);
console.log(a);