Hi.

I'm new to GIT. I've used CVS and SVN.

With CVS, version numbers could be automatically updated within the
file so you know from the version numbers you knew if you were upto
date or not as the number was human readable ((lcoal) 1.2.3 vs (cvs)
1.2.4 for example).

With SVN, you could see the last changeset number to know if you were
uptodate. In my mind, having the number in the file would have been
nice, but that's only cause I'm use to it from CVS. The changeset
numbers are useful as they are sequential and like a cross-project
commit whereas in CVS each commit is to a file. (As I understand
things only being a user of these tools!).

With GIT, the changeset numbers are meaningless and there is no
version number in the file.

I feel like I've lost something. I'm not sure I have, I just feel like it.

What is the normal way these tools are supposed to be used?

Am I supposed to blindly update each time I want to work on the code?

This isn't finger pointing or anything, I'm just wondering how I'm
supposed to work without versioning.

Regards,

Richard.

--