> The change was pulled off (perhaps it was considered too obtrusive or
> there was no time to test it thoroughly).

I was talking about the (apparent) change between 1.5 and 1.6.

> I think we should at least
> provide some kind of `purgeObservers` method

Yeah, something that accepts an element and clears observers from it
and all of its descendants, like the OP's select("*") or ideally
something more efficient using the cache internal to prototype.  Then
in situations where you know some things are hooked, you can do:

$('container').purgeObservers().update(newcontent);
--
T.J. Crowder
tj / crowder software / com