Yes, the Element.Layout class is imminent. In fact, it's already here.
Take a look:

http://github.com/sstephenson/prototype/blob/layout/src/dom/layout.js

I've posted layout code before; this is the same code with a couple
more refinement passes. You can read the included PDoc comments to get
an idea of how it works. You can inspect it more closely by grabbing
the "layout" branch in the GitHub repository.

I've tested in Firefox 3.5, Safari 4, and IE 6-8. All the unit tests
pass. But the unit tests are incomplete. So I need a little help.

Can you guys let me know of any specific layout/measurement quirks
you've encountered? Anything that's a bit obscure? Anything which
Prototype 1.6 doesn't measure properly (with Element#getStyle and
Element#[positioned|viewport|cumulative]Offset)?

Cheers,
Andrew