Hey all,

I've updated the prototype version in my application from 1.6.0.3 to 1.7.
Everything works just fine except for the fact that IE8 gives "Out of
stackspace" errors.

The app dynamically loads several html pages / javascript files when you
open different 'modules'. After the 1.7 update this still works fine, no
errors but when I click a link to move to another page (so actually reload
my page, no ajax call) I get the "Out of stackspace" error.

After some Googeling i found:
http://groups.google.com/group/prototype-scriptaculous/browse_thread/thread/f5878ea837bbaf3d/d19856a81273df80
with the same error but here it's caused by the JSON parser. I haven't used
the JSON object at all, and the pages that are loaded don't use any JSON
methods.

I've mailed with Tobie Langel to ask what the fix was for the JSON parser,
but he replied:

Oh, sorry, looked at the bug report again.

> No, your issue wasn't fixed and the only way I can imagine having it
> fixed is to either stop using Prototype or not use native JSON in IE8.

When I press debug, and take a look at the stacktrace I see that the
_destroyCache method is called and the out of stackspace error occurs when
stopObserving is called on the registry.

Is this the cleanup routine from Prototype on unload?

I'm totally lost on how to handle this and I really don't want to revert to
1.6.0.3

Any tips are welcome!

Greetings,
 Johan