There's a method on forms you want: form#disable() or form#enable().
Then it's just a case of finding the element. You could do this
through $$ or select() or have a look at the inplaceeditor source
code. As I remember, the form element is stored as something like
_form on each instance of the class. Extend the inplaceeditor and add
a function that looks like this:

disable: function() { this._formElement.disable(); }

and then you can call it from wherever.

You may also want to extend and override the function which handles
the click on the submit button - currently the whole form dissapears
to show the word "saving..." which I didn't like either because it
makes validation even server side very different.