Yeah, and no two wikis have the same "wiki syntax" as far as I can
tell.  Because we really NEEDED to keep 18 small variations in our
heads... :-)

I used Wikidot because:

* It's free
* It doesn't have ads (unless we want to turn them on and earn 80% of
the revenue, perhaps to feed back into the development of Prototype &
script.aculo.us and/or pay for a premium wiki, which has some
additional features)
* You can grab a backup as a zip file anytime you want (I'll back it
up at least weekly; automated backups are a premium feature)
* It's quite powerful
* "Themes" are straight, *simple* CSS even I can understand
* It's reasonably fast
* It's been around a couple of years

But that doesn't mean we can't move it somewhere else if we find
something better, and although personally I *hate* markdown, it's
something that's familiar to anyone who's done any significant
contributing to Prototype...