Hi John,

This usually happens when you try to call a Prototype method on an
Element instance that hasn't been extended [passed through $()].  On
almost everything but IE, that's fine, but on IE you have to be sure
to pass the instance through $().

There's an article on this in the new unofficial Prototype &
script.aculo.us wiki, in the Troubleshooting section:
http://proto-scripty.wikidot.com/prototype:object-doesn-t-support-this-property-or-method

If you give that a quick read and then look at your application code
that's calling into Prototype when the error occurs, you'll probably
see where the missing $() should go.

More about the general topic of extending elements here:
http://www.prototypejs.org/learn/extensions

HTH,