Hi,

Weird, in the space of just a few days we've now had three separate
threads on character encoding, more than we've had in several months.
Here are the other two threads:

http://groups.google.com/group/prototype-scriptaculous/browse_thread/thread/06f7ab84ec0e7178
http://groups.google.com/group/prototype-scriptaculous/browse_thread/thread/2d721cacad30d9e7

Might be worth teaming up with the other people having similar
problems...

Sorry not to have an answer for you,