I don't know if i really understood the problem here...

But onComplete gets a XMLHttpRequest object. that has your server
response on XMLHttpRequest.responseText. in your case:
val.responseText.

Passing val as a parameter is a fully new Object as a value of
parameter. This is not allowed...

Had you tried this ??

EMoreth