Wouldn't that method of referencing the drag handle create an unwanted
closure? As I've come to understand, javascript garbage collection
gets confused when a javascript object references a DOM element while
the DOM element references the same javascript object. This would be
counter-productive to the author's concerns about cleaning up a
draggable.  The draggable could be destroyed, the element could be
destroyed, but the memory used to reference the draggable and the
element would not be freed.

Or I could be wrong... Modern browsers seem to be coming to terms with
the memory leaks that are easily introduced with DOM.

Also with my own experiences with trying to write efficient code with
Prototype and Scriptaculous, I've found it is much more important to
destroy a Droppable since every Droppable is searched every time the
mouse moves while dragging a Draggable. If a Droppable is not cleaned
after use, any dragging can quickly come to a crawl.