Firefox probabaly ignores clicks on the scroll bar and thus does not
lose focus. Here is the main part of the code

var auto_cust;
var auto_bran;
var auto_call;

new Event.observe(window, 'load', pageload);

function pageload() {
    auto_cust = new Ajax.Autocompleter('customer', 'customer_auto',
'logform_customer.asp', {minChars:-1,frequency:0.5,afterUpdateElement:
getCustomerId});
    auto_bran = new Ajax.Autocompleter('branch', 'branch_auto',
'logform_branch.asp', {minChars:-1,frequency:0.5,callback:
customerCallback,afterUpdateElement: getBranchId});
    auto_call = new Ajax.Autocompleter('caller', 'caller_auto',
'logform_caller.asp', {minChars:-1,frequency:0.5,callback:
customerCallback});

    new Event.observe('customer', 'focus', acust);
    new Event.observe('branch', 'focus', abran);
    new Event.observe('caller', 'focus', acall);
    $('customer').focus();
}

function acust()
{
    auto_cust.activate(); //twice because IE is clever
    auto_cust.activate();
}

function abran()
{
    auto_bran.activate(); //twice because IE is clever
    auto_bran.activate();
}

function acall()
{
    auto_call.activate(); //twice because IE is clever
    auto_call.activate();
}

function getBranchId(text, li) {
    $('branch_id').value = li.id;
    $('caller').focus();
}

function getCustomerId(text, li) {
    $('customer_id').value = li.id;
    $('branch').value='';
    $('branch_id').value='';
    $('branch').focus();
}

function customerCallback(element, entry) {
    return entry + "&customer=" + $('customer_id').value;
}