Never mind!

What I found is that the fix I put in for the 'onSuccess' in
Ajax.Request() still did not satisfactorilly allow time to return the
value from the CGI.  Thought it did, but it didn't.   Refer to the
thread on 'Delay Required after Ajax.Request() ... How to?' for more
info.

I went back to using setTimeout() on the split part of the function
and was then able to get the editor working.

BearState