> writeAttribute does not fix cross browser differences in the
> implementation of setAttribute.

How so? What's missing? File bugs! :)

> Feel free to recommend otherwise but I'd like to see some reasons why.

There's one simple reason: forward compatibility.

Prototype 2.0 will stop extending prototype's of HTMLElement,
therefore, using the dot property to set or retrieve attributes will
no longer work (that is, until getters and setters are supported in
all browsers).

On top of that, using a unified API is always a good thing. Premature
optimization isn't.

Best,

Tobie