Hi,

> The most interesting thing is
> that it works as an independent HTML file but fails with the above
> error when I ran it on my server as a JSP page.

Very suspicious. :-)  Sounds like a deployment error.  With things
running on your server, if you go to your page, and then edit the
address bar to manually retrieve the JavaScript files from the
relative "scripts" location and press Enter, does it work?  E.g.,
suppose your usual page is:

    http://localhost:8080/some/path/somefile.jsp

...you'd edit that to be:

    http://localhost:8080/some/path/scripts/prototype.js

...and see if you do, in fact, see the Prototype file.  If you do,
try:

    http://localhost:8080/some/path/scripts/scriptaculous.js

...and make sure you get the script.aculo.us file.  You might try
making sure that all of script.aculo.us' subsidiary files are there.

If they're all there, I'm not sure what's going on.

(OT:  Prototype works best if you declare a doctype on your documents,
e.g., XHTML transitional or some such.  Quirks mode isn't really
supported.  But I don't think that's what's going on *here*.)

HTH,