It's all down to the parent Element you choose to wrap these form
elements with. It doesn't have to be a span as I had it, you could
just give the enclosing paragraph or LI an id and away you go. What
you could not do -- what you are correct to assume here -- is use this
vague syntax with the form as the parent:

$('theFormId').select('input[type="checkbox"]')

will indeed return ALL the checkboxen in your form.

$('theFieldsetId')...
$('theListItemId')...
$(''theParagraphId')...
$('theLabelId')... (this one is even semantically correct!)

Any of these will work, adapted to the structure of your form.

Walter