You may find that you are using the same version on both sites, which
means that my solution fixed the problem, but not for the reason I
thought.

There may be a timing/latency issue somewhere else in your code that
is resolved by the DOM being completely settled (onload is very late
in the game, the page is already visible in its entirety in the
browser).

You might want to look through for some cases where you expect a thing
to be there -- if you act on any element blindly assuming its
existence -- and see if wrapping that up in a condition makes the site
work again under dom:loaded.

It's just a hunch, mind you.

Walter