Incidentally, (not answering your question, which TJ has done)

> $$('#theme_choice').each(function(elem){
>                                 if (elem.selected) alert(elem.text + ' ' +
> elem.value);
>                 });

"$$('#something')"

while valid, is almost always wrong. It says "give me a list of all
the elements with id 'something'". But by definition there can be only
one such element, so it is simpler to replace your code with

elem = $(''theme_choice');
if (elem.selected) ...

If you are using this because you have multiple entities with the same
id, then your page is not valid HTML, and browsers may not behave
identically with it.