Hi, I'm new to prototype.js and have a question.

I have a google maps application and I've been trying to implement a
"Querying..." status indicator while the map is being populated.  The
map itself works fine, but the timing of the status indicator is off,
it goes away too soon.  I know why, but I don't know how to correct
it.

Here is what I have so far, pay attention to the timing of the
"Querying..." message and when it is displayed:

http://www.pawinetalk.com/v2/detail/ajax/index14.php?code=27184

When you click on "populate map" two things happen:
1.  A perl script is called which generates map points in XML
2.  Those points are placed on the map

Now here's my issue:  Utilizing prototype.js, I use ajax.request to
call the perl script, and use "onComplete" to turn off the
"Querying..." message.  But at the time when it turns that off, it
still needs to put the points on the map.  That is handled by another
javascript function which calls GDownloadUrl, and takes more time
(depending on the number of points).  I'd like to wait until that
completes to turn off the "Querying..." message.  BUT, ajax.request
can only be used when calling a URL to generate some data, and as far
as I know, not when simply running a javascript function I have
defined on my page.  And since I can't use ajax.request to place the
map points, I can't use onComplete and thus the "querying..." message
is turned off too early.  Not interested in simply adding a

Does anyone have any ideas on how this can be accomplished?

Thanks for any help!

Mark