Mislav's when() seems a bit redundant when called inside of
document.observe('dom:loaded')...

I think this topic would be interesting to discuss in the the proto-dev
mailing list, ie. exceptions thrown for non-existant elements... i'd also
like to see some kind of support for catching stupid coding: documents with
elements that have the same id (like... <div id=myDiv></div>  <div
id=myDiv></div>...ugh.) I wrote a snippet that used mutation events to check
the document for junk like this, but sadly, DOMContentLoaded,
DOMNodeInsterted et al aren't supported widely enough to warrant production
level usage.

Rick