I wanted to prevent rapid double clicking of an AJAXed tab.  My code
works well in IE8, FF, and S.  In IE7 and 6, the tab gets disabled
permanently even though I see both window.status calls printing out
the expected stuff.  What's going on?

++++++++++++++++++++++++++

var tabOnclick = tabElement.down('a').readAttribute('onclick');
window.status = tabOnclick;
tabElement.down('a').writeAttribute('onclick', null);

new Ajax.Updater(
   'tabContentArea',
   'someServerScript.php', {
      onComplete: function() {
         new PeriodicalExecuter(
            function(myself) {
               tabElement.down('a').writeAttribute('onclick',
tabOnclick);
               window.status = 're-enabled : ' + tabOnclick;
               myself.stop();
            }.bind(this),
            2
         );