For most typical cases, JSON is easier, and more efficient. For one,
by sending a Content-type header of "application/json" you can send an
array down from the server, and Prototype automatically converts it
into a JSON object you can utilize.

Hope that's helpful. There are much better explanations in the API
documentation, and people here in the group who can articulate it much
better than i.
-joe t.