If you only want the child elements for a particular element, use this:

      <ol>
           <li>
           </li>
      </ol>

Use this:

$$('#whatever ol')

.....then, just use whatever enumerable you need to cycle through them.

On the flip-side, you can do it the way you wanted to, also

$('whatever').select('ol')

....each should give you an array of the same elements.....

John Mayer