is (rating) being set somewhere or is that the id of the element? if
it is the id then you will need to put single quotes around it
('rating')

If you are using prototype/scriptaculous $('rating') is a shortcut of
document.getElementById('rating')
Also another shortcut is calling update on the element instead of
setting the innerHTML.

$('rating').update('Thanks for rating this quiz');