I did what you told me ... it's working perfectly in Safari 4 and IE8,
but ...

in GoogleChrome i get the following message in the console "Uncaught
TypeError: Object [object HTMLDivElement] has no method 'getOpacity'".
- error in effects.js:line 357 ( "from: this.element.getOpacity() ||
0.0," ). If i modify this  to "this.element.style.opacity" it's
working perfectly ...

in prototype.js GetOpacity method is defined "
 getStyle: function(element, style) {
    element = $(element);
    style = style == 'float' ? 'cssFloat' : style.camelize();
    var value = element.style[style];
    if (!value || value == 'auto') {
      var css = document.defaultView.getComputedStyle(element, null);
      value = css ? css[style] : null;
    }
    if (style == 'opacity') return value ? parseFloat(value) : 1.0;
    return value == 'auto' ? null : value;
  },

  getOpacity: function(element) {
    return $(element).getStyle('opacity');
  },
"

so ... is seems to me there is a problem with prototype.js and google
chrome ... am I right ?