Returning false is not enough with prototype.
You have to call the stop() method.

This should look like this (untested):
$('yourButtonId').observe('mouseup',function(event) {
  event.stop();
});

If you put everything in mouseup event, just call event.stop() at the
end (this should prevent other mouseup handlers to be called).

Eric

NB: Sorry I mismatched two languages: "ihm" is French accronym for
"GUI" (Graphic User Interface).
What I meant to say is that if you press any of your operating
system's button, the action will not be performed until you release
the mouse button.