I did see this strange behavior on a couple of computers (same code of
course working nicely on other computers).
My fix was to stop using scriptaculous.js and include directly all
scriptaculous modules I needed (in your case, effects.js should be
enough).

However, unless you need your site to run on an intranet or an offline
computer, you may keep googleapi links.
It will optimise the browser's cache, and it is very likely that
google servers will serve your scripts faster than your hosting
company.

Eric