Hi Scott,

I didn't do much with drag/drop using scripty, but can't you just have
one droppable (in your case it would be $('cats')) and find out which
span was under the mouse when a drop occurs?

In the same spirit, instead of adding a "onmouseover" event on
each .drag item, you may add one on your body (or on your two ULs if
you prefer), and test if the event happened on one .drag element
(something like "if(elt=event.findElement('.drag')) ...").

Last point: I don't know if it is possible, but did you try to create
the draggable on the mousedown instead of the mouseover?
It will save lots of work to the browser (It would require some
tweaks, but I successfully used this technique with
Ajax.InPlaceEditor).

Eric