I use anchors to call javascript functions. Usually, I do this:

   call the function
</a>

This works fine in all browsers. Window.onbeforeunload is never
triggered because the ONCLICK returns false, and thus the HREF if not
executed. When HREF is not executed, the browser does not believe that
the window in unloading. Now, I'm trying to create a dynamic anchor to
accomplish the same thing. It looks nearly identical to the HTML
anchor, but now it's triggering window.onbeforeunload in IE8. How do I
not trigger it?

dynamicAnchor = new Element(
    'a', {
        href: 'javascript:void(0)',