I like using nested lists positioned by percentages, but in trying to make
them work for a dropdown menu, I'm not succeeding in getting the child lists
to stay visible when the mouse moves from the parent list item to the
block-displayed child list. I'm also having trouble getting the lists to
display on top of images in IE, despite setting z-indices on the various
elements. Do I need to unnest the lists and make the parent items spans or
divs or something? Or am I missing something else (probably obvious)?

Thanks very much for your help.

<ul id="TopicATop" onmouseover="$('topicA').show(); return false;"
onmouseout="$('topicA').hide(); return false;" ><li>Topic A<br />

<ul id="TopicA" >

I have the css set up like this (omitting the positioning for the lists,
which is "absolute" relative to the containing div):

#menu ul, #menu ul li

{font-family:Papyrus, Parisian BT, Palatino Linotype, Times New Roman;

color:White;

font-size:15px;

font-weight:bold;

margin:0;

text-align:left;

display:block;

list-style:none;

cursor:pointer;

}

#menu ul li ul

{padding-top:6px;

}

#menu ul li ul, #menu ul li ul li, .lvl3

{display:block;

list-style:none;

color:White;

background-color:#5d4550;

width:100%;

font-family:Papyrus, Parisian BT, Palatino Linotype, Times New Roman;

font-size:15px;

cursor:pointer;

}

a.lvl3:link