Dont have any samples, just an active imagination! LOL

The ctrl key (windows) being used for selecting multiple objects is part of
the common user interface guidelines created by Microsoft years ago. (Before
then, IBM had a guide for their mainframe developers, since then Apple and
many other companies have created them.)  The best starting point to learn
more is from this post by wiki founder Jimmy Wales:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_interface_guidelines