I have a quick filter for hiding list items until only matches show. I want to cover all the various ways that a user might interact with the search field, so I write this lovely:

        $('filter').observe('keyup', function(evt){
                this.fire('check:filter');
        });
        $('filter').observe('click', function(evt){
                this.fire('check:filter');
        });
        $('filter').observe('focus', function(evt){
                this.fire('check:filter');
        });
        $('filter').observe('blur', function(evt){
                this.fire('check:filter');
        });

Is there any way to write this more clearly, as in with fewer lines of code?

I'm using 1.6.latest, haven't tried the new 1.7 goodies yet. Would that help?

Walter