On Tue, Feb 1, 2011 at 16:42, T.J. Crowder <t...@crowdersoftware.com> wrote:

>> "$break" has been deprecated?

> Yup.

>> Where is that documented?

> I don't know, I only know because Tobie mentioned it to me once. I'm
> sure it's mentioned in a thread here somewhere.

I can't find any mention of that. (When things get deprecated, that's usually
documented/announced somehow, no?)

> You'll note it's disappeared from the documentation.

Yup. Confused the hell out of me. $break is still in the source code
without any mention of deprecation.

>> What are we supposed to use instead?

> Enumerable has `all`, which is very like ECMAScript5's `every` in that
> it stops when you return `false` out of the callback (but ECMAScript5
> defines that the callback gets all three arguments; I don't think
> Enumerable makes that guarantee). Enumerable also has `any` which
> (like ECMAScript5's `some`) stops when you return `true` out of the
> callback. In both cases, using a return value is probably cleaner and
> less resource-intensive than throwing an exception. But if you really
> like throwing `$break`,

No. It always seemed really strange and unclean to me. So even if
it's not deprecated, a cleaner solution is most welcome.

> you can define it yourself if/when Prototype
> actually drops support for it (1.7 still seems to have it, but I bet
> the next major version aligns with ECMAScript5). It's easily done. :-)

I'm trying out "all" now.

--
Bertilo Wennergren
berti...@gmail.com http://bertilow.com