The list is displayed in its entirety without animations.

It's almost as if the JavaScript it being ignored completely in IE8.

I pasted your JavaScript into a file which I called newslist.js.

I linked to it in the head section of my html file like so:

<script type="text/javascript" src="http://www.test.com/_includes/
newsbox/newslist.js"></script>