I can tell you my experience, perhaps others have had a similar ones. I
tried jquery and found that I liked its ability to chain a lot. It toggles
more powerfully than prototype. I also like the fact that I only need one
reference for plenty of effects -- as many as I'll ever care about.Jquery
does have some really aggravating aspects. In a couple of instances I have
been able to find an element with plain old javascript that defied jquery
and I'm still figuring out how to manage its events.

Beyond a nice scrollbar, which is only a couple of hundred bytes, I haven't
explored JQuery's plugins, because I like to make my own stuff.

Additionally, because I plan to do freelance asp.net and javascript work
when I retire (soon), I decided that because JQuery is so much more
prevalent and  because Microsoft is beginning to facilitate using it, that's
what I should spend time learning.

Jane