I have a weird bug that I'm having trouble debugging. I am using Rails
but I think the issue is in the javascript handling somewhere.

I have a div with a form and autocomplete

 <form info>
    <autocomplete box>
 </form>

I have the options set so that when the user clicks in the auto-
complete they get an initial list (minChars = 0)

When the user types a user name in the autocomplete and selects one of
the drop down options I generate a request via Ajax and render the
form again without the autocomplete. The user can then click 'remove'
to remove the user info and re-draw the autocomplete box.

After the re-draw the minChars = 0 doesn't work.  Whenever I click in
the box I see a request generated to my controller, and I return the
correct information but it doesn't get rendered into HTML and I dont
see a drop down.

If the user types a letter or name then the dropdown lits does show
up, but the initial ajax request never gets reflected.

I assume there is some state variable that thinks the text box hasn't
changed value or something which is preventing actually rendering the
HTML returned by Rails.

I hope that makes sense.  Any ideas?

P.S. My current workaround is to just hide the autocomplete field and
not render it empty.  This works but won't be usable in other parts of
my site.