This is because your newImg is not an extended element.

Create a new img element using:

new Element('img');

or use the prototype dollar function (http://api.prototypejs.org/dom/dollar/)
to properly extend your element with the prototype methods:

$(newImg);

Your addImage method could be rewritten like this:

function addImage(src, div) {
 var newImg = new Element('img', { id: "Image" + div, src: src
}).observe('load', loadcrop);
 $("img" + div).show().insert(newImg);
 $("upload" + div).hide();
}

For more information about how prototype extends the DOM:
http://prototypejs.org/learn/extensions

And the other Element functions i've used:
http://api.prototypejs.org/dom/Element/

Greetings,
 Johan