Walter,

I had the timeout problem on a script with a different purpose.  What I did
was hijacked the code here: http://www.mcfedries.com/JavaScript/timer.asp

I created an array: var  funcTimers[]  and then modified the above code to
insert into the array and each func started the timer on entry and ended it
on exit.

At the end, I dumped the funcTimers out with an alert() and I had my answer.

Also, about 10 years ago (when I was younger and smarter) I wrote a table
sort function that would sort a standard html table based on the column
clicked.  It was quite fast and would sort through 1000 columns pretty
quickly.  I looked on my backup drive and couldnt find it but if you want,
I'll root around and post it.... might give you a different strategy.

P~