I'm with you Richard.

I have a hidden div that loads the spinner and in the AJAX onCreate I
disable the form and unhide the div while in the  onComplete I hide the div
and enable the form.

What I have found is that if the AJAX call starts and completes quickly then
the spinner never gets displayed as the browser is smart enough not to do
a repaint if not needed.