> I checked the response header and it's "
> Unfortunately I couldn't check the response because it's empty.

Is response empty in network sniffer/web inspector? Or in javascript code?

> Printing the return-part in my controller I got the correct base64-encoded
> string.

You should check if it is actually written to HTTP response (maybe response
is already flushed).

> I checked prototype api docs and it says, the response is going to be
> eval'd
> before it shows up in browser.
>
> So what to do? Simply change the response content type? Is there any
> base64-Type?

How are you processing response? Please show your code (here or in
jsfiddle.net) or give a link to test site. Ajax.Response#responseText
should be filled from XMLHttpRequest#responseText no matter which
Content-Type is in response.