I think the keyhole method seems to be the best mechanism.  I'll play
around with the callback for a bit and see what I can cobble together.

My overall problem is, the user is creating a "folder" and I want to make
adding the initial contents as easy as possible... in other words, I don't
want the user to create an empty folder and then go to another place on the
page to manage that folder.

If the user can create the folder, add a cover photo and some contents
(files) all in one swoop it will make for a better user experience.