On Nov 20, 2012, Gregorio Narvaez wrote:

> Michael
>
> Thanks for the information! I will be looking forward for the next version.
>
> Regards
>
> Gregorio
>
> > Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2012 20:22:55 -0500
> > From: m...@cipherdyne.org
> > To: psad-discuss@lists.sourceforge.net
> > Subject: Re: [psad-discuss] Error Bad argument length for
> > NetAddr::IP::UtilPP::hasbits when using psad -A
> >
> > On Nov 18, 2012, Gregorio Narvaez wrote:
> >

> > > Hi
> > >
> > > I'm using psad 2.2 on a CentOS 6.3 with kernel
> > > 2.6.32-279.14.1.el6.x86_64, it was installed from repository,
> > > but running the following command to analyze the logs
> > >
> > > psad -A --analysis-fields "src:xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx"
> > >
> > > or
> > >
> > > psad -A --analysis-fields src:xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
> > >
> > > gives the following output:
> > >
> > > [+] Removing old /var/log/psad/ipt_analysis directory.
> > > [+] Entering analysis mode.  Parsing /var/log/messages
> > > [+] Found 3446 iptables log messages out of 12464 total lines.
> > > Use of uninitialized value $_[0] in length at
> > > ../../blib/lib/NetAddr/IP/UtilPP.pm (autosplit into
> > > ../../blib/lib/auto/NetAddr/IP/UtilPP/hasbits.al) line 126.
> > > Use of uninitialized value $_[0] in length at
> > > ../../blib/lib/NetAddr/IP/UtilPP.pm (autosplit into
> > > ../../blib/lib/auto/NetAddr/IP/UtilPP/hasbits.al) line 126.
> > > Bad argument length for NetAddr::IP::UtilPP::hasbits, is 0, should be 128
> > > at ../../blib/lib/NetAddr/IP/UtilPP.pm (autosplit into
> > > ../../blib/lib/auto/NetAddr/IP/UtilPP/_deadlen.al) line 122.

This bug has been fixed here:

http://www.cipherdyne.org/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=psad.git;a=commitdiff;h=ff46fe12b238b7f7b63b2f31345bb6a8f99f7efe

You are credited with finding the bug here:

http://www.cipherdyne.org/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=psad.git;a=commitdiff;h=a3d8daabbc60da23116141fd5d899573c3bda199

If you are using git, you can clone the psad repository and run
./install.pl (assuming you don't mind running pre-release code outside
of your distribution package management system).  There is also a new
argument "--stdin" which would allow future things like this to be
circumvented like so:

# grep " IN=1.2.3.4" /var/log/messages | psad -A --stdin

That way grep itself is doing the filtering instead of having to use
--analysis-fields.

Thanks,

--Mike