  > On Saturday 11 January 2003 12:03, Vladimir G. Ivanovic uttered:
  >> I thought the JRE was freely distributable...?

  > Not w/out a EULA that users have to agree to before installing/using it.

Appended are the relevant parts (IMHO) of the License. I glanced through
it, and I did not see any requirement that mandates that users agree to
the license before installing it. Perhaps you could point to chapter and
verse.

--- Vladimir

Vladimir G. Ivanovic                        http://leonora.org/~vladimir
2770 Cowper St.                                         [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Palo Alto, CA 94306-2447                                 +1 650 678 8014

The lyfe so short, the craft so long to learne.  -- Chaucer

--------

Extract from "Terms and conditions of the license & export for Java(TM)
2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition 1.4.1_01, JAVATM 2 RUNTIME
ENVIRONMENT (J2RE), STANDARD EDITION, VERSION 1.4.1_X SUPPLEMENTAL
LICENSE TERMS"

[...]

2. License to Distribute Software. Subject to the terms and conditions
of this Agreement, including, but not limited to Section 4 (Java
Technology Restrictions) of these Supplemental Terms, Sun grants you a
non-exclusive, non-transferable, limited license to reproduce and
distribute the Software, provided that (i) you distribute the Software
complete and unmodified (unless otherwise specified in the applicable
README file) and only bundled as part of, and for the sole purpose of
running, your Programs, (ii) the Programs add significant and primary
functionality to the Software, (iii) you do not distribute additional
software intended to replace any component(s) of the Software (unless
otherwise specified in the applicable README file), (iv) you do not
remove or alter any proprietary legends or notices contained in the
Software, (v) you only distribute the Software subject to a license
agreement that protects Sun's interests consistent with the terms
contained in this Agreement, and (vi) you agree to defend and indemnify
Sun and its licensors from and against any damages, costs, liabilities,
settlement amounts and/or expenses (including attorneys' fees) incurred
in connection with any claim, lawsuit or action by any third party that
arises or results from the use or distribution of any and all Programs
and/or Software. (vi) include the following statement as part of product
documentation (whether hard copy or electronic), as a part of a
copyright page or proprietary rights notice page, in an "About" box or
in any other form reasonably designed to make the statement visible to
users of the Software: "This product includes code licensed from RSA
Security, Inc.", and (vii) include the statement, "Some portions
licensed from IBM are available at http://oss.software.ibm.com/icu4j/";.

3. License to Distribute Redistributables. Subject to the terms and
conditions of this Agreement, including but not limited to Section 4
(Java Technology Restrictions) of these Supplemental Terms, Sun grants
you a non-exclusive, non-transferable, limited license to reproduce and
distribute those files specifically identified as redistributable in the
Software "README" file ("Redistributables") provided that: (i) you
distribute the Redistributables complete and unmodified (unless
otherwise specified in the applicable README file), and only bundled as
part of Programs, (ii) you do not distribute additional software
intended to supersede any component(s) of the Redistributables (unless
otherwise specified in the applicable README file), (iii) you do not
remove or alter any proprietary legends or notices contained in or on
the Redistributables, (iv) you only distribute the Redistributables
pursuant to a license agreement that protects Sun's interests consistent
with the terms contained in the Agreement, (v) you agree to defend and