Hi List,
As most of you already know PT uses the "audio midi setup" for Midi communication to external Midi devices. If you have not yet ran the app go to your utilities folder and give it a whirl! After you take a peek at it you will notice that after you get past the empty scroll area " where the midi devices are located By the way you have to grab the mouse and randomly drag on it to get a midi device selected" but after that the tool bar selections become available.
Then the   midi device options  are pretty much usable.
below is some of my exchanges with apple since i have a current apple care" contract. Jon from apple mentioned that the more they know about the issue the quicker it will get fixed! I have a rack full of midi modules I am not ready to ditch yet and I am sure I am not alone!
We need to  start emailing apple.
Talk soon

Begin forwarded message:

That is correct chuck,

We verified the issue, and submitted a ticket to the development team, hopeing that in future updates there may be a resolution for the audio midi setup up