Hi Ronald,

The record and playback ranges are one in the same and it simply depends upon
whether you press the space bar alone or with the Command key. A sighted user
can set the ranges either by entering values in the counter display or by
dragging little playback markers in the ruler. The end result is the same so a
blind user would obviously just enter the Start and End values with the numeric
keypad. One doesn't have to interact with the counter display to enter the
values. VoiceOver doesn't give feedback but it's pretty straight-forward and,
with a few hot spots set, one can easily check their work. The only thing is,
the Edit window has to at least be opened, even if only in the background
somewhere, otherwise, entering info won't work. Keep the Edit window opened and
you should be fine.

HTH,

Slau