Hi Chris,

I'll be the first to tell you that, although you may think your question is
regarding Pro Tools, the underlying issue really doesn't have anything to do
with Pro Tools. I'm not going to tell you to go searching elsewhere for the
answer because, in fact, you won't find an answer.

First of all, there should be absolutely no problem whatsoever with your audio
when you simply take a microphone (or, for that matter, any other signal) into
Pro Tools, record it and play it back.

Now, if you're not experienced as a recordist and can't tell whether a signal
sounds "normal" or as it should normally sound when tracking into a multitrack,
well, there's nothing any list in the world can do for you because that's the
kind of thing for which people train their ears, some for a few years and
others for perhaps a decade before they're ready to take on projects. Let me
not discourage you from pursuing your goals but allow me to point out again
that no plug-in in the world can help you if your explanation of the problem
involves a phrase like "I can't put my finger on it." How, may I ask, do you
think someone else can put a finger on it if we can't hear it ourselves? And
before you reply with something like, "OK, I'll post an example of the sound,"
understand that this is a list concerning the use of Pro tools with VoiceOver
and not for training on how to understand audio recording. You'll probably feel
that my response is cold and unsympathetic to your problem. I can't help that.
My advice to you, if you're interested in recording your own music, is to keep
looking for the audio recording environment that works for you. Be aware that
this list is not for that specific pursuit. If, however, you wish to pursue
audio recording itself as a career, find a school, read tons of books from
cover to cover and, if Pro Tools ends up being your dAW of choice, feel free to
post questions here about using Pro Tools with VoiceOver. Naturally, there will
be questions that pertain to Pro Tools in general rather than VoiceOver and
that's perhaps unavoidable but the list is clearly not for learning Pro Tools
itself but rather more about technique of access. Please feel free to continue
to post your questions about using Pro Tools with VoiceOver. You're always
welcomed to do that here.

Cheers,

Slau